Sunday, January 11, 2009

Letter to Myself (2)

I have always loved the beginning of a new year. It's a great time to reflect on the passing year and envision what I want to create. Change is a common theme (lose weight, work differently, improve relationships, etc.) and there is a cynicism around the futility of personal change. Too bad.

The Appreciative Inquiry model of change is useful because it acknowledges the power of the past in a positive way.
This is an early model that includes the CONTINUITY aspect of personal change. Too often we try to change by changing everything....which doesn't work for me. Better to build on what IS working. This week I am writing a letter to myself. This is the format:
  • What did I value about 2008?
  • What would I like to bring about in 2009?
  • What will get my attention for transition?
And because I believe that letter should be mailed if at all possible, I will mail it and then put it in the July section of my planner. In July I will read it to remind myself of what seems important now. Perhaps it will help me focus on my most important goals.

Now, who deserves a letter more than you?


Have a good week.

1 comment: